Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Cafe on Polk"


12x12" oil on masonite

This is a painting that didn't quite make it into the City Streets show a few months ago. Originally this painting was just a very loose sketch. I didn't feel it was quite finished enough to bring to the gallery, but I liked the composition and the mix of natural and incandescent lighting. I finally decided it would be worth spending some time to see if I could bring it to a level of finish that I was happy with. It's unusual for me to rework an existing painting, I usually just move on if something doesn't work. I'm glad I put the extra effort into this one.

It turns out I'll be participating in two plein air events at the end of the month so I decided to get organized. It's so important to have your gear and your process figured out. I spent a few hours streamlining my equipment and then hit the streets to test it out. I was able to do a couple of small paintings, in separate locations, in less than three hours. I still struggled a bit with the paintings but at least I wasn't frustrated by my gear.

I've been painting here in San Bruno to save time. I figured I wouldn't be too particular about the scenery since I just needed to get out for a test run. I've actually found some interesting subject matter which has been a nice surprise. I posted a photo on my facebook page.

Tomorrow is the opening reception for the Waterfront show at the Studio Gallery. Stop by and check it out if you're in the area! The reception is from 2-6pm.

No comments: