Thursday, August 29, 2013

"Sierra Snow Melt"


20x16" oil on canvas

I'm getting ready to paint outdoors again. When I first started painting ten years ago I painted almost exclusively on location. Later, in order to make the most of the little time I had to paint I started working from digital images on my computer. I actually still use my plein air set up when painting indoors. 

Working from the computer is great in a lot of ways. I love being able to experiment with different compositions and color settings. It's also nice having everything set up and ready to go. All I have to do is put a canvas on the easel and get to work. Now that I'm painting full time I'm feeling the need to get out and paint from life again. I'm excited to see how it will effect my work.

The above painting was done from the computer but I painted as if I was working outside. What I mean is, I painted fast. This one was done in about 90 minutes. I had to make minor adjustments the next day, but most of the work was done in the first attempt. I'm trying to work fast even though I'm painting on larger canvases.

No comments: